Tuesday 8 April 2014

Pen Pals

Spending time writing a letter, decorating the page and envelope is so pleasing and fulfilling, it's almost become an obsession. I've had a pen pal for a few months now and I recently acquired another, and nothing makes me happier than the time I get to spend replying to their letters. I also really enjoy getting their letters and seeing how they have to say. 

Beautiful Envelopes from Roberta & letters from Heather
For me it's calming to sit down and be creative. I can spend hours coming up with ideas on how to decorate the paper and envelope. It may seem excessive, but this year it's the only free time I've had to myself with school and work. It's something that I enjoy doing and hopefully get to continue to do it. 

Although postage takes a while and that's less than ideal, I love putting letters in the mailbox knowing that they're going to someone who's never met me and judges me only by what I write. I hated my handwriting until I started writing letters, but now I don't think there's any possible way for written letters to be ugly. There's something beautiful and nostalgic about the activity. I think that it's amazing that someone I've met on the internet, 3 states away is in possession of something I wrote, something I've drawn, something I've spent hours on. There's something about that, that makes me so content. It's an amazing feeling and if you every get the opportunity to write to someone, please do so. It's so satisfying and you make a friend in the process. 

Letter from Roberta
I hadn't really been friends with my pen pals prior to writing to them. I met them both through tumblr. I met Roberta when she hosted submissions to be matched with a pen pal. Robi matched me with her and we've been writing ever since! My second pen pal Heather was one of the first blogs I followed when I made my tropical tumblr. Later on, I opened submissions to be matched with a pen pal and next thing I knew I was sending the first letter. I love them both, their letters always make me smile. When I'm having a bad day and I get a letter in the mail, it never fails to make things even a little bit better.  

If you're worried about safety, I had seen both Heather and Roberta's faces on instagram and tumblr before we became pen pals, plus I have a P.O. Box so I wasn't that bothered, but they both gave me their home addresses, so they obviously trusted me. I think there are a lot of people on the internet that you can't trust but if you can find someone you do trust, definitely give it a go!

I hope you enjoyed this post and maybe you're thinking of getting a pen pal! If you are, let me know in the comments below, I might be able to help you out :)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment