Saturday 5 April 2014

Succulents & Cacti

Pictured: Ellie the Parodia Scopa Cactus

Two of my all time favourite things are succulents and cacti. I have 8 on my windowsill and I'm absolutely in love with them. They're utterly adorable and there's no possible way for me to kill them because they're incredibly drought resistant. Fun Fact: All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti, so I guess they don't really count as 2 of my favourite things after all.  

Succulents and Cacti are also really affordable. I picked mine up from my local garden centre for a pretty decent price. My cheapest succulent was $3(!) and the most I've paid for one is $13 which I don't find too steep at all, considering how in love I am with them. They're also extremely versatile, you can plant them all in one massive pot and have an incredibly adorable cacti garden or have them in their own individual pots like I do. The possibilities with succulents are endless. There are a bunch of different shapes, sizes and colours of cacti and succulents, you just have to find the ones that you like best! I have a few on my wish list that I can't find anywhere!

I'm not ashamed to say that I've named all of my succulents after book characters. There's Ellie in the picture above, who was named after Ellie from This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith which I read in late 2013 and really loved, plus 7 more. I've even got a Tobias and a Tris. Most of them are named after books I've read except Percy named after the main character of Percy Jackson & The Lightening Thief. I know, I know, I'm like the only person who hasn't read it, but I promise I will soon enough! The names of my other cacti & succulents are Chubs (The Darkest Minds), Isadora (The Chaos of Stars), and Gale (The Hunger Games). My 8th succulent, pictured above, isn't named yet. I've been feeling uninspired and I have no idea what I should name her (yes, I know for sure it's a girl) :(

All in all, if you're looking for some super cute plants that you won't be able to kill because you forget to water them, succulents are the way to go. You can pick them up from your local garden centre and supermarkets even sell them sometimes. I'm going to check out my local nursery and see if there are any cute ones there. Before long, I'll be a complete cacti hoarder! 


post signature
goodreads // tumblr // twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment