Sunday 20 April 2014

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

To All the Boys I've Loved Before

Author: Jenny Han
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Published: April 15th 2014
Goodreads // Book Depository

Synopsis:
What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them - all at once?
Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are the ones she's written. One for every boy she's ever loved - five in all. 
When she write, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she never would say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control. 

This was such a cute, quirky, fun read that is great for all ages. I really enjoyed Lara Jean's narrative and would recommend this to anyone who is into chick lit or just really cute love stories in general. While being a love story, this book also contains very realistic family dynamics. I loved how Lara Jean interacted with her sisters. If you think this book would interest you, give it a read. Spoilers below :)

In Chapter 1 when Josh is introduced, I knew straight away that Lara Jean had or has feelings for him. And I felt for her, having to see her sister be with him everyday, that's pretty harsh even if no one actually knows that's how she feels. When Peter is introduced, I liked him straight away. He comes across as slightly arrogant and self obsessed but he's likeable and funny and I could tell that he liked Lara Jean the longer they were fake dating.

I have a  soft spot for enemies turn lovers books, and while To All The Boys I've Loved Before wasn't exactly that, two people who didn't necessarily like each other struck a deal to fake-date, each of them getting something out of it, but ending up with more than they bargained for. I love books like this.
 
Lara Jean's dynamic with her sisters was one of the most realistic I've read. After their mother died Margot became the Mum and Lara Jean looked up to her for that. I really liked Margot at the start of this book, but by the end I wasn't a fan of her. When she got back even before she found out about Josh kissing Lara Jean, she was so critical of her. I felt sorry for Lara Jean. I really loved Kitty, she was adorable. I think her relationship with Lara Jean was one of my favourites in the whole book. Kitty knew what was up with Lara Jean and Peter before they knew themselves. I liked that Kitty was such a big part of the book, and didn't just get pushed aside so we could focus on Lara Jean and Peter.

Lara Jean and Peter were the best. I loved them. I loved their friendship, and their fake relationship as well. I knew before they knew themselves that they were starting to actually like each other. When they kissed in the hot tub, I was so happy! Finally, Lara Jean was actually acting on her feelings. I also thought it was so sweet that Peter was open about his first. Peter was so great with Kitty which is something I enjoyed so much. Once again Kitty was such a big part of the story line considering this all happened because of her, which we find out in the end. 
  
I really liked the way the book ended, but I wanted more. I just found out this is going to be a duology and I'm so extremely excited to read the next book!

Final Rating:


I hope you enjoyed this book review. Check back soon for a new post :)
post signature
goodreads // tumblr // twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment